Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday Movie Blog - School Movies

Welcome to the Monday Movie Blog on Chief 187 Chatter. With this being Labor Day my thoughts turn to the upcoming school year. My children return to their classrooms tomorrow and another exciting year of homework, tests, projects, assemblies, and fieldtrips ensue. To get in the mindset of abandoning summer’s relaxed schedule and endless unconstructed fun, I have worked hard to capture the ideal topic for today.



This week’s focus is movies set in a school setting. Please list any and all movies that are set in a school of any kind, elementary, middle, high schools or even college and beyond. Remember to include a list of stars from the film as well as a brief review or synopsis.




I always find that a movie set at a school, including and sometimes especially a great sports movie, picks my spirits up and makes me anxious to surround myself with learning. I begin to embrace the school year, look forward to the comfort of a known schedule, and relax into a routine. Like it or not, the school year is coming and, for many of your children, already here, so we might as well invite it here with a smile rather than a scowl.




Please join me tomorrow for Chief 187 Chatter’s most popular feature, Simple Joys.

6 comments:

  1. Please Sir ! was the skool movie of my yoof :-

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGS-Wvs6gb0

    ReplyDelete
  2. my favorite growing up was Ferris Bueller's Day Off with Matthew Broderick, Jennifer Grey, and even a cameo by Charlie Sheen. Another favorite is Can't Hardly Wait with Ethan Embry and Jennifer Love Hewitt--my wife and i watched that one a lot in college, as well as Grease. A school movie i watch every time it's on these days is School of Rock with Jack Black. As a teacher, my favorite line from that movie is "Those who can't do, teach; and those who can't teach, teach PE." i said that line in a faculty meeting once, the PE teachers didn't think it was as funny as i did... haha
    I'm a child of the 80s so, of course, movies like Breakfast Club, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Pretty in Pink, etc. are all classics in my book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "The Paper Chase"
    starring:
    John Houseman
    Timothy Bottoms
    Lindsay Wagner


    synopsis from IMDB:
    Hart is a confused first year law student at Harvard. He is trying to survive the year under his strictest professer, the legendary Kingsfield. With the help of some of his classmates in his study group, Hart becomes one of the smartest students in his class. His reputation with Kingsfield is diminished, however, when he finds out the girl he has been seeing is Kingfields daughter. Will Hart perform to the best of his ability with Kingsfield watching his every move?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dead Poet's Society- hands down is my favorite "school" movie.

    Mr. Holland's Opus- Always requires tissues for me.

    Summer School- Just rewatched it this week.

    Stand & Deliver and Lean On Me to me are "brother" movies. You watch one, you should watch the other.

    Toy Story 3- Most of the movie takes place in a day care center (preschool)

    I feel like I'm forgetting a ton of great movies.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Porkys set in Florida before "disney "arrived a group if highschool boys are determined to find their manhood end up at Porkys a roadhouse where they propose to get a romp with ladies of the evening. Well Porky makes fools out of these wet behind the ears kids! Soon the gang is determined to get revenge! If you enjoy raucous this is up your lane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I realized last night that I forgot to mention the movie Clueless which is mainly set within the walls of high school. I love this mindless movie!

    ReplyDelete