Monday, September 19, 2011

Monday Movie Blog - Movies with Surprise Endings


Welcome to the Monday Movie Blog on Chief 187 Chatter. My parents, who are retired, are huge movie buffs. They see scores of movie in a year at the theater. Recently they saw a current release and were less than enthusiastic with their review. I, not being retired, have limited time and funds to earmark for movies shown in the theater. I have to rely on the type of movies I can access through Netflix and, thankfully, if I’m not happy with the film I can send it back or go to the next streaming movie on my queue.


Having the Monday Movie Blog to assist me in my movie choices saves a lot of stress and consternation. The Monday Movie Blog on Chief 187 Chatter is a very good thing!

This week’s focus is movies with unexpected endings. The films where there is no formula being followed; a surprise ending that leaves the audience aghast, breathless, and/or speechless.

Sometimes a movie like Alfred Hitchcock’s Psycho can do that near the beginning so even movies that offer twists throughout the film are appropriate for this category.


Please remember to give the stars of the film as well as a brief synopsis or review without revealing any spoilers for those who haven’t seen the film but may want to see it.

To access former Monday Movie Blogs simply type “Monday Movie Blog” into the search feature in the upper left hand corner of this page. Please feel free to add more movie selections to any and all topics as this is an ever-evolving and growing resource for all to use.

I invite you to join me back here tomorrow for the most popular post on Chief 187 Chatter, Simple Joys.

2 comments:

  1. Well, the obvious choice is "The Sixth Sense." Unfortunately, I figured out the ending before it was revealed. :(

    Other unexpected ending movies include another from M. Knight "Shamalamadingdong" is "The Village." While it was a great movie up until the ending, the ending is still unexpected. I will admit it was a pretty lame ending. Disappointing to be more exact.

    One movie that "got me", was "The Others" starring Nicole Kidman. SO GOOD! We watched it again recently so my oldest son could experience it. It was still spooky even though I knew how it ended. This is a suspense movie, no gore involved at all.

    "Scream" the 1st, got me at the end as well. I was quite ashamed as this is one of those campy thriller/horror movies. I had the "I should have known" or "DOH!" moment at the end.

    "Seven Pounds" starring Will Smith. You know something is up throughout the movie, but you don't know how it is all going to come together in the end. While it is a slow movie, you must pay attention to be able to get all your questions answered in the end. Very touching movie, so if you happen to be a Sappy McSappyPants like I am... tissues may be needed. Very good movie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grand Torino this Clint Eastwood "vehicle" his final acting roll offered a twist that might have surprised his previous characters. As an aging retiree in a working class Detroit neighborhood this hardknot veteran of the korean war deals with his own old mind set of stereotypes and humanity as he feels his "world" slipping away. Also directed by Eastwood (possibly his strongest movie talent) this thoughtful movie is a classic in my book.

    ReplyDelete