Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Post-Valentine Love

So Valentine’s Day is over for 2012, in the books, filed away, never to be thought of again until next year. Not so fast.

We know each other now. Well, you know me anyway. And I’ve already admitted I’m addicted to

love. Not in the Robert Palmer sort of way although that song is pretty cool when I’m in a retro-‘80s kind of mood, but love in general.

Love songs, love movies, love stories, and, well, love in my life.

I so enjoyed indulging this part of my personality last month that I thought I’d do it again. I’m not saying this is going to be a regular monthly feature, but I’m also not saying it’s not.

Here we go. I hope you enjoy this, but, quite frankly, I do so it’s happening!

Love Songs:


Seal’s “Love’s Divine” – From the first listening I was hooked on this song and still feel fervently when I hear it.

Lionel Richie and Diana Ross version only of “Endless Love” – It has nothing to do with the movie which I’ve never seen the entire way through. I married my high school sweetheart, my first love. He is my endless love. Period.

Brian McKnight’s “One Last Cry” – Sad, plaintive realization that love has ended and it’s time to move on for good. There are times I just love hearing this song. It’s not all autobiographical for me, I just get moved by a lot of different media and messages.

Romantic Movies:

You’ve Got Mail – I try not to like this one, really I do, but I can’t help it. It is getting dated, but the love story itself is very cute and timeless.


Sixteen Candles – Yes it’s dorky and young and perhaps even outdated, but the kiss at the end makes it all worthwhile.

Ghost – I thought about taking up pottery after this film, but then thought better of it; I just took up making love more! Ditto.

Books with a strong love at their core

The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett – Epic, sweeping, fascinating, and, centered around a timeless love, this book is an all-time favorite of mine. It was daunting with how thick it was, but I didn’t want it to end because I had become part of that world when I was reading.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyer – Not great literature, but a great story that was told well. It brought innocent romance and yearning back into my life when I needed it most.


The Prince of Tides by Pat Conroy – Reading this book changed my life. I had no idea written language could be so sumptuous. I wanted to be a writer after reading this book. I wept at the end, not so much because of the ending but that I’d never again experience the “first read” of the book.

You made it to the end… this month.

Please join me tomorrow for another scrumptious recipe on Tantalizing Thursday on Chief 187™Chatter.

1 comment:

  1. "You've Got Mail" is timeless for me. It was the 1st movie Stephen & I saw in the theater... and of course it is extra special because we met online. ;)

    ReplyDelete