Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Happy New Year!

No, I haven't lost my mind or my calendar, I realize it is mid-September. My whole life has revolved around the school calendar. As a student, then a teacher, and now the mother of school-aged children, the month of September has heralded a new year. And, with many who make resolutions at the end of December when that other new year is lurking around the corner, I typically make resolutions before the school year begins in earnest.
This year was no exception. With three children in the home, a husband recovering from ACL surgery, and multiple roles I play, I decided this was the year to take control of the things I felt were spiraling out of control. And, like a lot of new year resolutions, weight loss was at the top of my list. I am not a skinny little thing nor will I ever be. My body has produced three large beautiful babies, fed those babies, carries those babies even now, and does a lot of hard core chores. But my weight has crept up and with "40" on the horizon in a couple of years I thought it was time to nip the creeping weight in the butt. So I "strap on" my elliptical machine every morning by 4:30a EST for a 30 minute workout session. And the best thing about daily exercise is the emotional weight I seem to be losing. Frustration is ebbing, self esteem is rising, and production is going up as well. My well-being in general is taking a turn for the better by simply putting my health...my SELF as a priority. As women, primary care givers, we tend to push ourselves to the bottom of the priority list. Our husbands, children, neighbors, pets, extended family members, and strangers from the PTA rate higher than we do because we refuse to say "NO" once in a while. I'm all too guilty for putting myself low on my list. And that's crazy! As the airlines tell us when we fly with them, in the event of an emergency, put YOUR oxygen mask on first BEFORE you help your child(ren). And if we aren't taking care of ourselves, how can we take care of others? I have no excuse for putting myself last on the list, my husband is extraordinarily supportive of respecting my position in the family as number one next to him (not behind). We are a team and for the team to function at full capacity ALL members must be nourished, strong, and, relatively speaking, sane! For many of you this may seem like the most common of common sense, but for me it has taken thirty-eight years and three children to see the logic.
I am still in the early stages of my lifestyle change, but it is about changing my lifestyle, not dieting or deadlines. I just want to be healthier, commit to daily exercise, and make me a priority in my life. I want and need to continue this positive path and feel this forum will keep me on the "straight and narrow". This blog is NOT a diary of my struggles with weight loss, but it is public enough to remind me that I am not alone. Your taciturn support should be the encouragement I need when my resolve starts to ebb.
So Happy New Year to all of my friends! We are going to have a great year together. I look forward to exploring so many topics with you and implore you to leave your comments. For me the highlight of blogging versus writing is the immediate feedback blogging offers. I enjoy the exchange of ideas, the camaraderie, and the knowledge that I"m not out here alone.
Until next time, all my best to you. Make this YOUR year, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment