Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Media Blog-Nighttime Soap Operas

Welcome to the Monday Media Blog on Chief 187™Chatter.

This week NASCAR leaves the historic short track of Martinsville for the newer, 1.5 mile track of Texas Motor Speedway.



I’ve never been to Texas but, although I know there is so very much more than this there, I cannot help thinking about the television nighttime soap opera Dallas.



Dallas was the first nighttime soap opera I ever watched and really the only one. It was rich, extravagant, and naughty.


The program mixed cowboy hats and haute couture, sweet love stories with tawdry sex, and played the ancient struggle
















of Cain versus Able in the guise of two brothers named JR and Bobby.


I loved every moment of the over-the-top series and understand a new generation of the program may be debuting this summer.




This week’s prompt is your favorite nighttime soap opera. There were oodles to choose from that aired in the 1980s that featured big hair, big egos, and scandalous storylines! Jewels, shoulder-pads, and outrageous stories were bigger and more colorful than ever before. If you had a favorite, your spouse did, or you can now admit you had a guilty pleasure, tell about it here.



Please join me tomorrow for the popular Simple Joys here at Chief 187™Chatter.

2 comments:

  1. Does Mad Men count as a evening soap? If so, that's my vote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 90210 & Melrose Place. Though neither kept my attention for very long. I would like to add Felicity if that counts.

    ReplyDelete