Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Love Part III

I am so excited because it is once again time for me to indulge in another “Love” post at Chief 187™Chatter.

Each day I walk this planet I try in some way to express my love. Romantically to my husband, maternally to my children, and as a true-hearted person to my friends I strive to incorporate love in my life in a way that those whom I love feel the strength of my emotion for them.

To “refill the coffers” I love listening to love-infused music, read books about love, and watch movies with a love story somewhere nestled into the plot. My choices for such are not always traditional, but love is the resounding theme.

Music


“On My Own” Les Miserables soundtrack – A story of sad, unrequited love set in the backdrop of the French Revolution.

“Could it Be Magic” Barry Manilow – Not apologizing for this gorgeous song that has stayed with me for three decades and still gives me chills and makes me tear up.

“Where is the Love?” Roberta Flack featuring Donny Hathaway – forbidden, two-timing love that has obviously begun to sour.


Movies

Slumdog Millionaire – I just saw this film in the last week and was torn between hating it and truly enjoying parts of it. Most worthwhile is the love story that exists through the entire film; I can definitely get behind THAT! And, it really was a good flick.


Keeping the Faith – Definitely one of my all-time favorite romantic comedies of all time (that's a bit redundant, huh?)! Superbly written, directed and acted with a compelling story, unique plot, and breath-taking plot turns. Well, they were for me, anyway! A must see… truly!

Breakfast at Tiffany’s – Far-fetched, contrite, but, at the time it was a far-reaching movie and, let’s face it, even today holds a strong place in people’s hearts. Two tortured souls who lead morally-skewed lives fall for one another and, against all odds…. Well, you’ll just have to see it!


Books

World Without End Ken Follett – Another epic saga by the same author who wrote Pillars of the Earth. This takes place in the same medieval town only generations later. Fraught with politics, architecture, religion, intrigue, the plague, and, of course, true and binding love, this page-turner never fails to deliver.

The Other Boleyn Girl Phillippa Gregory – Another period piece about the Boleyn sisters each of whom bed King Henry VIII but only one of whom marries him. Other love stories abound and more intrigue, manipulations, and covert actions are at play. Worthwhile and fun read!


Forever Judy Blume – When I was a child this was a rumored book that no one I knew could get their hands on, but somehow I did. Approachable and readable like all of Blume’s books, this one took the pre-teen where books like Are You There God, It’s Me Margaret…?, Deenie, and Tiger Eyes left off. Explicit, realistic, with not altogether a happy ending, this was the most comprehensive real-life version of "sexually" growing up I had ever encountered… before or since!

Just writing about these favorites gets my juices flowing! If you are unfamiliar with them, I hope you try them. If you had once experienced them, I hope you do so again!

Please join me tomorrow for another easy, accessible, and tasty recipe set against the NASCAR venue of Bristol, Tennessee tomorrow on Tantalizing Thursday on Chief 187™Chatter.

2 comments:

  1. For romantic comedies, I love "something about Mary" lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you want a song that will pull your heart apart, try "Little Fall Of Rain" from Les Miserables. Eponine lays dying as she professes her love for Marius and to his credit, he throws her a bone just as she dies. It gets me every time.


    Heysi187

    ReplyDelete