Monday, March 26, 2012

Monday Media Blog-Police TV Shows

Welcome to the Monday Media Blog on Chief 187™Chatter.

I was waxing nostalgic recently about the glory days of the police drama on television. My earliest memories of

programs dealing with police departments were of Barney Miller,

CHiPs, and the opening strains of Hill Street Blues.



Too young to remember any of the plots, I just loved watching policeman, for the most part, as heroes in the programs. Many of these shows had romantic plotlines (we know what a hopeless romantic I am), mysteries to solve, and an inside look at police work.

As television became more reality-based, we saw baser storylines, more human characters, yet still heroes who stirred the soul, raised our compassion, and plucked our emotions.


NYPD Blue was my favorite in the 1990s. Detective John Kelly had my heartstrings in a knot that first season of the show. Later, Detective Andy Sipowicz became a complex and spell-binding character.

Now a whole new string of police programming is running. I admit I haven’t watched any of them, mostly due to time

constraints not lack of interest. Law and Order, NCIS, CSI, and more fill the airwaves from different cities in the franchises with popular stars.




What are your favorite police television shows from then and now? Is it a favorite genre of yours? Why do you love the shows you chose?

I look forward, as always, to reading your response. Getting feedback is a wonderful treat for me and, rest assured, I read every comment left on a post at Chief 187™Chatter.

Please join me tomorrow for the ever-popular Simple Joys on Chief 187™Chatter.

3 comments:

  1. They don't come any better than Dixon of Dock Green :- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdNAuDtf7vI

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta go with Chips and Hill Street Blues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Living in California my brother and I were always looking out for CHiPs! I remember we would get so excited when we finally saw an officer on a motorcycle (because there were very few where we lived).

    I really enjoyed Cold Case and would watch reruns during lunch. It has since been cancelled, but I enjoyed it very much.

    COPS is always fun and, um, interesting. We don't make a point of watching it, but we may stop every once in a while to see what wife beater clad, long haired, cigarette smoking guy just got hit in the head with whatever choice of blunt instrument his girlfriend/wife/best friend used.

    I was OBSESSED with CSI (the original, I'm against the rest). I watched to solve the crime. Then they changed the format, put two characters together who had no business being together and my enthusiasm fizzled quickly. I even have 2 of their computer crime solving games. :D

    I also enjoyed Forensic Files and The New Detectives. Both focused on the forensics and psychological aspect of crimes. They were based on real events and I love learning about new technology and how it works to solve crimes. Learning about the behavior and how a criminal became what he became is absolutely fascinating to me.

    There was a show called City Confidential which spotlighted a beautiful city the 1st half then transitioned to a major crime & how it was solved the 2nd half. The original narrator passed away, and the new guy didn't catch on.

    There was a short (too short) series called, "Most Evil". Dr. Michael Stone a Criminal Psychologist has actually looked into the minds of MANY notorious (and not so notorious) serial killers. He has actually developed a scale of evil from 1-22. Fascinating!!!

    I am a true crime junkie. I have Investigation Discovery channel and when it first came on, the kids (affectionately I think) called it, "The Momma Channel". It is filled with reruns of shows like 20/20, Dateline and other such shows. Then they have a ton of original programming that has me watching (or at least background noise) for hours! Stolen Voices, Buried Secrets is told in the viewpoint of the victim. Who the (Bleep) Did I Marry? is always interesting. Stalked: Somebody's Watching, Deadly Women, Deadly Sins, Behind Mansion Walls, The Will: Family Secrets Revealed, Wicked Attraction, Disappeared, Nightmare Next Door, Nothing Personal, Killer Trials: Judgement Day. I could go on and on.

    I am actually an official ID Addict. :)

    Have a good week Candice!

    ReplyDelete