Welcome to Tantalizing Thursday on Chief 187 Chatter. This week I’m continuing the focus on healthy, filling, and delicious meals for the warmer weather. The salads have brought many readers to the site and that inspired me to offer other meals that are easy, healthy, colorful, and quick. Inspiration struck at the grocery store leading to the development of the following recipe. It was a huge success with my husband who is painfully honest; if he doesn’t like something he’ll let me know. This meal he ate heartily and asked for more so I equate that to a “winner”. I hope you are encouraged to try the meal and let me know what you thought of it!
Chief’s Champion Sandwich
Recipe by Chief 187
1-2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil, enough to lightly coat the pan
2 Vidalia or sweet onions, sliced
2 containers mushrooms, sliced
peppers (green, yellow, orange, red), cored and deseeded, sliced
mayonnaise (homemade or store bought)
prepared basil (or your favorite) pesto (homemade or store bought)
Portuguese or other large sandwich Roll, split open
Smoke Gouda, sliced thinly
1. In a large skillet heat oil and add sliced onions to medium high heat to begin caramelization. Allow 5 minutes stirring regularly for the onions to begin to cook.
2. Add peppers, roughly the same thickness, to the onions for the same process. Allow another 5 minutes of cook time. Continue to stir, incorporating the onions and peppers.
3. Add the sliced mushrooms to the skillet and mix the ingredients. Several more minutes (10-25) are appropriate for the mixture to reach the right softened, brown, caramelized consistency. Smelling the mixture is a good way to indicate if the concoction is ready.
4. Meanwhile, in between stirring the mixture, slice rolls in half lengthwise to create sandwich halves.
5. In a small bowl combine 2 parts mayonnaise to one part prepared basil pesto to make a pesto mayonnaise to spread on the roll.
6. Slice the smoked gouda into thin slices for adding to the sandwich. Place on the side of the roll with the pesto mayonnaise.
7. When the vegetable mixture has cooked down, looks browned and smells scrumptious, pull it from the heat and spoon a heaping pile onto one side of the roll. Place the dressed half of the roll on top making sure to have the cheese touch the veggies so it will start to melt.
Serve hot. Makes 8 small or 4 large sandwiches.
Vegetarians will love this meal for obvious reasons; there is no meat! Meat lovers will enjoy this meal because the mushrooms have a beefy flavor and the sandwich is filling. The combinations of flavor, host of fresh fibrous vegetables, and heartiness of the sandwich makes it perfect for dinner. Serve it with oven fries, potato salad, or chips. Try macaroni salad, 3 bean salad, or cole slaw. Any way you present this sandwich with its sweet aroma, huge presence, and delectable taste, will keep your dinner mates happy and full. I look forward to reading your reviews of this recipe after you’ve tried it!
Please utilize the search feature for any of the preceding Tantalizing Thursday articles at this site. I encourage you to check out the archives for everything from holiday meals to scrumptious desserts. The recipes are easy, quick, and delicious and there are several menus for consideration.
I hope you can return tomorrow when we close the week with the popular Friday Music Blog.