Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother’s Day is this coming Sunday so my thoughts have turned to my own mother. I am fortunate to have my mother in my life and enjoy a comfortable relationship with her. That is not to say we don’t have our ups and downs, but the longer I live, the more I see the world and our respective places in it. For better or worse, right or wrong, good or bad, she is my mother and I love and adore her. This is dedicated to my mother with love.

My mother is a dynamic person with strong opinions, an optimistic outlook, and great skin! She champions my children, supports my aspirations still, and is the most stylish woman I know! From the moment I was born we were close; we were destined to be mother/daughter. And although I may not be the “carbon copy” people used to tag us as, we are definitely connected by blood, mannerisms, and our gregarious style.

In every way, when it mattered most, my mother has been there for me like only a mother can. As a baby she cared for me around the clock. As a young girl she shuttled me to and fro, brought me to her bridge games, and took me out to lunch all the while teaching me the fundamentals in addition to loving me unabashedly. When I was a teenager and a crisis occurred, my mother kept a steady head and got me through. She taught me how to tell a joke (even the lewd ones!) When my first choice college did not accept me, my mother reminded me of the “safety school” she recommended. I was accepted there and was offered a grant to attend! When I insisted my New Jersey wedding reception be held in March during my senior year spring break in college instead of in June like my mother desperately wanted, she relented. When the “Storm of the Century” struck the eve of the wedding reception sending three feet of snow, they got me there, paid the money for a reception for 130 people that 29 attended, laughed, and made the best of it, and not once did she utter then or even to this day, “I told you so”. When tragedy struck in my twenties she was there to support and protect me. When my first child arrived ten days before I turned 30 and I was overwhelmed, in physical pain, and scared, she came by every day to cajole me, make me lunch and dinner, do my laundry, and showed me how to care for my newborn. When my second child came she cared for my oldest child, her soul mate. When my last baby came she cared for both boys and bought a whole new wardrobe in pink for my little girl after the two blue wardrobes she bought for my sons respectively. Whenever I call for a recipe she patiently gives it. When I need help she provides it. When I ask for something she gives it. When she lives near me in the summer I see her daily. We even play bridge together with her lady friends! When we don’t see eye to eye it smarts. I try to remember the important lessons she’s taught me. When my mother was diagnosed with endometrial cancer she stared it down and fought. She struggled a bit, but mostly stayed positive and made what could have been unbearably scary, dealable. She is currently cancer free!

Now, with my new career, she is proud, encouraging, supportive, impressed, and, well, my mother! She delights in my children, cares passionately for my family, and has a rockin' social life all her own! The longer I live the more I see how very blessed I am to have such a loving, caring, and wonderful mother. Cheers to my mother, the woman who gave me life, taught me to live, love, and laugh, and raises my children to the light. I love you mom, Happy Mother’s Day!

Please take this opportunity to write about your mother or the woman (or man) who fills this all-important role in your life. Write about it here and then share it with her on her special day. To all of the mothers who read this, a very Happy Mother’s Day!


7 comments:

  1. Hey Candice!

    First off, huge kudos for being ahead of the curve here - get it - ahead of the curve - that would be a racing joke okay LOL! - Anyway, congrats for posting about your Mom as Mother's Day approaches. You're early! Well done! All too often we forget about tributes such as yours until the day of, or the day after.

    As for the post, what a wonderful tribute to your Mom. Well done and she sounds like a wonderful person, role model, Mom and comforter. Please tell her Dr. Rus says "Hi, happy Mother's Day and well done!"

    Dr. Rus

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am filled with joy and pride for the beautiful sentiments you have written about me. I loved every minute of our time spent together. You are epitomy of a loving daughter.
    I love you, and am very proud of you.
    Mother

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This is very sweet. We love the moms!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom totally rocks! She's an awesome lady to hang out with...(and she thinks I'm smart!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kudos to both you and your Mom, Candice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to wish a Happy Mothers Day to both of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the best readers... and friends... in all the world, both cyber and real! xo to all of you!

    ReplyDelete