Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Simple Joys

Welcome to Simple Joys on Chief 187™Chatter.



Whenever a smile spreads across your face, a giggle escapes, or a good feeling permeates your being – however briefly – you have experienced Simple Joys.

Since Simple Joys premiered on this site nearly two years ago as a “one –off”, I have written my weekly Simple Joys down for public consumption and have encouraged you all to focus on yours as well.

Personally the weekly examination of all things that make me happy has elevated my moods, shooed away depression, and changed my perspective to a far more positive one.

And, of course, the one-off became a widely read weekly favorite on the site.

It is always my sincere hope that you all look at your own life for the Simple Joys you experience.

And now, without further ado, is this week’s Simple Joys.


Swimming. My daughter and I go to the local “Y” from one to three times per week. I am beginning to think that the child is happiest when she is in her swimsuit spending the morning with me swimming in the pool.

She is confident and graceful, enormously thrilled in this environment and works hard to constantly better herself. At three that is impressive. In her element my daughter ceases to be a needy child and shows maturity beyond her years.

Spending one-on-one time with my little girl doing something she excels that delights her to no end is a Simple Joy I revel greatly.


Book Fair. Each year the elementary schools my children attend hold a Book Fair run by the Parent Teacher Organization. The gym is converted into a store with hundreds of book titles to choose.

I surprised my first grader last week by showing up on his buying day and nearly bought him everything on his list. He was overjoyed and so excited.

Making my son’s book dreams come true knowing he is becoming an avid reader is a Simple Joy worth every penny!


Karate. My oldest son is a hard-working Karate student. He has been going for over five years to the same dojo and attends regularly never taking a hiatus.

Now my son is on the path to his junior black belt test which could be given in April 2013. This is a rigorous test that involves many skills, concepts, and execution of movements.

Although I know the test is terrifying to my boy, he is working steadfastly to improve, learn, and reach his goal. As a 10 year old, that is a very impressive feat.

Watching my son face the challenges that lie ahead and constantly strive for better is a Simple Joy that makes me proud daily.


Pumpkin Picking. Each year our family goes to the same U-Pick Pumpkin farm to stock up on autumnal décor. It is tradition.

This year my husband, Den leader for our middle son’s Den in Cub Scouts, scheduled the Den “Go-See-It” (fieldtrip) at this farm.

We took a hayride, picked our pumpkins right off of the vine, investigated the tiny petting zoo, took a pony ride, and had a grand time.

Spending the day at our favorite locale to pick pumpkins with all of our new friends in the Den was a fabulous Simple Joy.


Date night. Last weekend my husband and I were able to enjoy another date night. We went out to a fantastic dinner and afterward saw the band Blues Traveler in concert at a local venue.

The food was superb and the show was terrific! Listening to front man John Popper’s harmonica playing was the coolest thing ever as he is a true virtuoso! The drummer and bassist were incredible musicians as well.

Mostly, getting away alone with my husband recharged the batteries, strengthened our bond, and was a Simple Joy I never tire experiencing with him.

My Simple Joys often revolve around family but they are not limited to that. What is most important is I let the sourness of every day melt away and get dissolved by the Simple Joys that exist.

Even in times of great despair, overwhelming sadness, and/or pain, Simple Joys can be a balm if you let them into your life.




Wishing you a week full of Simple Joys.

Please join me tomorrow as I wax poetic on yet another topic on Freestyle Wednesday on Chief 187™Chatter.


1 comment:

  1. So very pleased you share this with us. Helps focus on the things that matter.

    I can actually identify with several similar Joys this week: I swim every day (although it's beginning to get a little chilly for that now), am reading voraciously, and enjoyed an 9 year anniversary date night with my better half.

    Amongst other things...

    ReplyDelete