Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Simple Joys

Welcome to Simple Joys on Chief 187™Chatter.


Some weeks the riches of Simple Joys are abundant making choosing the topics difficult – too many to whittle down.

Other weeks Simple Joys are the only things providing a glimmer of hope, a moment of sanity, and a belief in goodness.

When I have trying weeks, I find I rely most heavily on Simple Joys to provide perspective and fortify my faith in the goodness of Man.



Rest assured, my faith is strong, my heart light, and my determination unfettered by the detractors in life who try to steal peace and happiness.

Simple Joys are my super power and there seems to be no Kryptonite to weaken them.

And now, without further ado, is this week’s Simple Joys.


Friends. My job is unique in that it puts me in contact with people whom I have yet to meet but whom I consider close friends. These friends are no less real to me than the ones I see daily. The time we have vested in each other has put a lot of equity in our friendship bank.

Having friends in my heart who I met online still provides an abundance of Simple Joys in my life.


Compliment. I don’t often talk about my media work on this site, but it is a part of my every week and I am proud of the projects I am involved.

Recently my co-host and creator of the show Burning Rubber Radio passed on a lovely compliment he received from one of our listeners, a former pit crew member for a NASCAR Cup team I have admired for 20 years.

Receiving a compliment from anyone is always a source of Simple Joys for me, but this one meant even a bit more because it was someone in NASCAR who likes me on the motorsports show I do.


The Most Wonderful Time of the Year. Some of you groan when you think of the holiday season. Others ignore the impending signs. I think holidays all the year long, but when the stores begin their transition to Christmas in decorations, stocked toy shelves, paper napkins and partyware, and more decorations, I am in a very happy place.

Last week my daughter and I had opportunity to spend a few minutes in the big W discount store. We found ourselves in the seasonal aisle that was decked out in the beginning stages of Christmas! I was thrilled and my daughter was absolutely delighted. She wandered the aisles oohing and ahhing over Christmas trees with twinkling lights, sparkly decorations, and beautiful décor.

Seeing the decorations through my daughter’s eyes and see her wonder and enjoyment was a Simple Joy that I look forward to experiencing with her throughout the entire Christmas season!


Black Belt. My dear friend – my best girlfriend – tested for her black belt this past weekend. It is a rigorous, treacherous, physically and mentally demanding, and exhausting test that lasts 24 hours and truly tests one’s mettle. My girlfriend is determined, focused, and well-prepared but suffered an excruciating knee injury the first part of the test.

She could have quit. She could have walked away, but she didn’t. She stuck it out, worked through the pain, adjusted to her situation, and never backed down to the challenge at hand.

The last hour of her test is the only one opened to the public – the line fight. After being punished for 23 hours she faced five black belts – one at a time – in order to pass the last section of her test.

She did so ferociously, determinedly, and heroically, never considering quitting at the peak of her utter exhaustion and pain. I cheered her on with tears streaming down my face.

My girlfriend is one of my true heroes. She is smart, intelligent, hilariously funny, beautiful, and now a fierce and fabulous black belt in Karate. The fact that she is my friend is a Simple Joy I am thankful for daily.


Birthday. My daughter has had to wait patiently (as patiently as a 3-year-old can be) for her birthday to come. She’s waited through her oldest brother’s August birthday, her mother’s August birthday, and her middle brother’s September birthday.

Finally her big day arrived and she enjoyed the attention, present opening, cupcake decorating and eating, and party.

My day was filled with Simple Joys watching my daughter shine as the star of her big day and the knowledge that every day with her provides a plethora of Simple Joys!

What Simple Joys boils down to for me is family and friends who add such value to my life. Work, adventures, and even products get added to the list occasionally, but it’s the people I surround myself with who safeguard me against negativity life can serve.

Each week I write my Simple Joys down to continuously remind me of the "positivity" that surrounds me. It can work for you, too.

I wish you another week of Simple Joys.



Please join me tomorrow as I wax poetic on yet another topic on Freestyle Wednesday on Chief 187™Chatter.

3 comments:

  1. This weeks simple joy eating and dancing with friends on Saturday night oh what joy !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding us of what is important. As I celebrate nine years married to my best friend, we think of those who have crossed our paths frequently, sporadically or even just once.

    We also remind ourselves that compliments are real and should be accepted graciously. Some cultures find that difficult to do as Positive is looked down upon as weak and phony - one can always do/be better!

    ReplyDelete