Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Life Lessons and Love


There are certain events that trigger reflection.












There is news that changes perspective.




And there is realization that can occur at any given moment. When these all happened to me recently it set my mind in motion and these words came out of my fingertips.



As Facebook filled with pictures and tributes on the one year anniversary of the death of IndyCar driver Dan Wheldon who died in the season finale race last year on October 16th, I was moved. That year was lightning fast and the shock and finality of the day was still fresh in my mind.



Recently I was at a get-together with some friends and was delivered the news by a father that his daughter had a medical situation that could possibly be grave and the doctors were unsure about how to go about dealing with her. He was matter of fact and hopeful. He was frustrated by insurance companies and doctors but not surrendering to negativity. He was, in essence, the bravest parent I knew. I went home and hugged and kissed my children extra.



Not long ago I was faced with an unpleasantness tied to a wondrous opportunity through my work. I was letting it overwhelm me – the “unpleasantness”. But I reached out to friends and trusted mentors and asked their advice. Confident I was taking the correct path I found I was far more at peace.

Only I can control my reactions, mood, and destiny. My husband, in his infinite wisdom, reminded me to not allow anyone to take up space in my head who was not paying me rent. He assured me that the course of action – in this case inaction – I was taking was the wisest.



Dan Wheldon’s untimely demise is a constant reminder to live in the moment. To try to not take things for granted for we never know when life will throw a curveball at us and we’ll have to take a detour. His death urges me to reach farther, try harder, and love richer than I had before lest I miss a moment on this good earth.



My friends frightening medical problems with his daughter added to the above lessons. When I think I am getting “stressed” due to job, obligations, and extracurricular activities, I step back and really rethink my life. Stress is self-inflicted and does little to nothing to propel change. By throwing myself into my life head first and rolling with the waves as they crash around I am better prepared for that which we are unprepared.



Lastly, the work situation that had messed with my head for a short time is released. I am not perfect nor do I profess to be. But I am hard-working, honest, and dedicated. Those qualities and having “right” on my side gives me renewed courage in my convictions and a sense of calm and peace.

But, the true bottom line came to me as I was driving my children to yet another activity.

Love.


It really is that simple. When Love is accepted in one’s life, is shared with others, and motivates, Love is the strongest emotion.













Love conquers hate. Hate becomes all-consuming and burns itself out – in short, it destroys itself.












Love strengthens desire. Infatuations may wane, but love grows, deepens, and takes root, weathering storms.










Love outlasts all. It may sound overly simplistic and hopelessly romantic, but it’s true. Love has endured and will continue.






And that’s what’s been on my mind of late.

2 comments:

  1. How nice to read this first thing in the morning...you have positively charged me for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Gerry. I appreciate to no end your RTing my work, and, of course, your reading and comments! XO

    ReplyDelete