Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Love Part V

Welcome to the fifth edition of Love on Chief 187™Chatter.



When I started this topic I thought it would be a one off. But I am inspired by songs, movies, and books constantly about my passion for Love.

These are, of course, what moves me. If you agree, great! If not, plot your own content that inspires feelings of love!

And, although I enjoy romantic love, not all of the media I put into these posts is about traditional, classic love. Sometimes it’s familial love, sometimes it’s heartbreak, and sometimes ifs just stuff I love.

I hope you enjoy May’s edition of Love Part V.


Music


“Hey Soul Sister” – Train


I can’t help but love this piece. Infectious, hilarious, and straight from the heart, Train captures emotions spot on perfectly!


“Brandy (You’re a Fine Girl)” – Looking Glass


Barry Manilow’s song was supposed to be “Brandy” but he had to settle for “Mandy” because of this great song from the 1970s. I love a rich story song and this one delivers hugely. And, hey, Brandy can easily be sung with Candi in the lyrics!



“She’s Gone” – Hall and Oates


Heart-wrenching, identifiable, plaintive, realistic, and fabulous is what this definitive group of any decade brought forth. Haven’t listened to this in a while? Pull it out, it’s timeless.


Movies


Guess Who’s Coming to Dinner

I discovered this movie as a young woman and was captivated by the relationship between Kate Hepburn and Spencer Tracy, the angst and passion between Sidney Poitier and Katharine Houghton, and the overall message of the film. If you never have seen it, I highly recommend. If you haven’t in a while, treat yourself again.



The Lady and the Tramp (Disney)

This was a film from my youth that I only saw once in the theater. I remember two things; I really liked dogs and the spaghetti scene set the bar for romance in my life in my pre-adolescent days. Recently I saw an ad for the release on DVD/BluRay for the movie and instantly yearned to own it. Apparently I still associate romance with a plate of spaghetti and meatballs and an unexpected kiss at the end of a shared noodle!


Moonstruck


I never saw this in the theater, am not a huge fan of Cher or Nicolas Cage, and am not Italian-American, but this film just works for me. A great flick to watch when you just want to believe that true love is out there and exists for you… at any age.


Books


DW: A Lifetime Going Around in Circles by Darrell Waltrip

My career as a NASCAR writer has certainly determined the books at my bedside of late so that will most definitely be reflected here. What is evident in this book is how much DW (Darrell Waltrip) always has, still does, and always will love his wife Stevie. Great read!


He Crashed Me So I Crashed Him Back: The True Story of the Year the King, Jaws, Earnhardt, and the Rest of NASCAR's Feudin', Fightin' Good Ol' Boys Put Stock Car Racing on the Map by Mark Bechtel

Another NASCAR book that was a fantastic read for the racing involved but also for the sections that showed how much couples like Bobby and June Allison and Kyle and Pattie Petty love each other as well.



Elizabeth Taylor: My Love Affair with Jewelry by Elizabeth Taylor


Among my many loves is jewelry. My fascination with fine gemstones, gorgeous designs, and the stories behind the artful pieces knows no bounds. This book by the iconic and tragic Elizabeth Taylor is light, fanciful, sweet, romantic, poignant, a little naughty, and funny! And Ms. Taylor writes about the great loves of her life. Terrific pictures.


My love of love runs the gamut from classically romantic love to familial love and all loves (and loss of love) in between.

These are my favorites showcased for May. What are some of yours this month?

Please join me tomorrow for delectable recipes on Tantalizing Thursday on Chief 187™Chatter.




1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to check in and tell you I'm alive and well. Just not Facebooking it for at least a few days for reasons I'd rather not get into.

    Song would be "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel.

    Movie, "While You Were Sleeping."

    I have to get back on the book.

    Cliff

    ReplyDelete