Thursday, November 3, 2011

Tantalizing Thursday - Sweet Potato Casserole

Welcome to Tantalizing Thursday on Chief 187 Chatter. There are only a few Thursdays between now and Thanksgiving so time is of the essence. Planning a Thanksgiving menu is a lofty job born of tradition, skill set, and desire. Whereas most families agree turkey is the star of the menu and most Americans serve it on Thanksgiving, the side dishes that accompany

the bird are varied. Some may serve Mac-n-Cheese while others put out Lasagna. I’ll be sharing the menu my husband and I have been serving our families for nearly two decades. We vary a dish here and there, but overall we deliver the same spread to a ravenous and appreciative guest list each November.

Aside from the roasted turkey and mashed potatoes my family always offers a sweet potato or yam

casserole. For years the easily recognizable sweet potato casserole with marshmallow topping sat on the table, and then got put into Tupperware only to be thrown out a week later, virtually untouched. When I lamented about this to my professional stylist a few years ago she excitedly shared her recipe for, “the best sweet potato casserole you’ll EVER eat!” I was unconvinced but willing to try anything to have more people devour this mainstay on our holiday table. In good faith I followed the recipe to a tee. My husband, always averse to trying the old rendition, was apprehensive, but, being the awesome husband he is, tried my new concoction. Tried it, loved it, and takes them every time I serve them and even requests them at Christmas, too! Without a doubt I can whole-heartedly recommend this recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole with no reservations!




Sweet Potato Casserole
Recipe received by Jamie, professional stylist at Your Salon

Ingredients:

Combine on stove top in good sized pan over medium/high heat careful not to burn and stirring frequently:

3-4 cups of mashed sweet potatoes (I use canned {rinsed}, two large ones to fill a casserole)
1 stick butter
½ cup of light brown sugar
½ cup evaporated milk to 1 cup to thicken
½ teaspoon + dash of nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon of maple syrup or more (to taste)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Transfer to a buttered or sprayed casserole.

Topping:

½ cup of flour
¼ cup of brown sugar
½ cup of butter, cubed
½ cup of pecans, broken

Put casserole in preheated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 minutes to an hour.

I prepare mine in the morning and let it sit, sans topping, until ready to bake when the turkey is out of the oven and resting. I simply add the topping and bake it in the hot oven the bird just exited. My husband is neither a fan of sweet potatoes nor pecans but this recipe has just the right amount of flavor combinations that speak to his taste buds!

If you just don’t enjoy cooking but want to have a sweet potato dish on your Thanksgiving table, then find some help at the local grocery store and find a perfectly suitable substitute from the deli section or the frozen foods! Relocate the offering in one of your dishes and, viola’, sweet potatoes!



Please join me tomorrow for the week ending Friday Music Blog.

3 comments:

  1. You did it! My mouth is watering. I hope knows about this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sweet potatoes but not as a casserole. To me marshmallows and sweet potatoes should never touch each other. BUT I just may try that recipe. The pecans peaked my interest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pecans! Nice touch...adds texture and takes it a whole other set of taste buds.

    ReplyDelete