Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Simple Joys

Welcome to Simple Joys on Chief 187™Chatter.



There are some weeks that leave me gasping for breath, seeking Simple Joys at every turn, and exhausted by the search.

And then there are weeks that offer a plethora of Simple Joys so plentiful, genuine, and overwhelmingly amazing that it feels like winning the Simple Joys lottery!

This past week was much more like the latter than the former. I can type that without fear of retaliation as any who read this post weekly know I write about all kinds of weeks I’ve experienced. No matter the type I have, the common link is recognizing and being thankful for the Simple Joys.

And now, without further ado, is this week’s Simple Joys.


No kids. I love my children with a passion that knows no bounds. I am fortunate to be a stay-at-home mother and would not want to change a moment of the abundant amount of time I spend with my offspring.

Having said that, I was without them from Friday afternoon through Sunday morning and had the time of my life!

My parents agreed to watch the children so my husband and I could attend the Vintage Sports Car Club of America (VSCCA) races held at Pocono Raceway. My husband was chairing the event solo this year and was relying on me for moral support as well as some more concrete support. This was not a conducive time to have children running about.

The Simple Joys were spending this quality time with my husband (I mean really private quality time) plus working together as a team to make this weekend run smoothly. Not one fight was combatted. We heard every word the other spoke as no child interrupted our conversations. We were the people we fell in love with over a quarter century ago, only better and seasoned.


The Race Weekend. Starting with registration at the Village Squire restaurant in Blakeslee, dealing with the incomparably friendly and helpful staff of Pocono Raceway, fraternizing with the members of the VSCCA, and making friends with the best corner workers in the business, every moment of the race weekend was stellar.

I spent time with so many people in intimate conversation that I forged lifelong friendships! The racing was fun, thrilling, and superb – everyone had a blast!

The Simple Joys associated with my husband’s race weekend at Pocono were numerous, varied, and worth a lifetime of ‘beyond brilliant’ memories!


Gregory's Glorious Week. My middle boy has been shuttled hither and yon to wait while his older brother takes part in this extracurricular activity or that one. He, too, is involved in activities, but big brother’s often reigned supreme.

But this past week the little brother soared! He earned his green belt in karate which puts him in the same class as his brother. He earned his participation trophy for a successful season in his Little League T-ball team. And, he won a slew of ribbons at a swim meet!

Watching my son beam with pride over his hard-earned accomplishments was a Simple Joy that is emblazoned in my mind for eternity!


Cub Scout Camp. My eldest child was attending Cub Scout day camp for the last time as a Cub Scout this year. It was an annual tradition for the last four years for him to attend.

In the course of the week I saw a far more mature (at times), involved, motivated, and confident young man. He has learned much at camp and enjoyed every moment.

The Simple Joys of watching my boy complete his final week of Cub Scout camp are bittersweet.


Friends. During race weekend I was blessed to have a strong contingency of friends attend. There was a man I had met online who shares a passion for Dale Earnhardt, NASCAR, and my writings – Joe. We had never met in person, but once we did we spoke like old friends with a comfort and patter that is reserved for such relationships.


A dear friend who pops into my life from time to time made his second appearance at Pocono for one of our events. The last time was over three years ago. He – Jon – relaxes me, comforts me, and makes me feel safe. He is someone I enjoy spending time.


My newest friend I actually met at the track – Pat. He was our “control” in charge of the corner workers. From the moment we met we clicked. We talked endlessly (he talked, I listened!) and laughed uproariously. His friends at the track became mine – George, Kelley, Rich, Joe, Carol, et al.

I met friends among the racers, their support/friends/wives, and wherever I turned there were only good people surrounding me and I was soaking up the Simple Joys of fantastic friendship.

Some weeks are just simply joyous. This was one of those weeks.

No matter what you are going through, how tough times are, and how worn out you seem, there is always a necessity to keep a door or window open for Simple Joys to get through.

You will be amply and richly rewarded if you keep your receptors out for Simple Joys. I can vouch for that this week!




Please join me tomorrow as I wax poetic on yet another topic on Freestyle Wednesday on Chief 187™Chatter.

3 comments: