Thursday, March 3, 2011

Tantalizing Thursday

Thursdays are great in that you can see the finish line for the end of the work week, television is usually good, and relaxation can start to set in. I ease into weekend mode on Thursday evening and picture myself on the other end of the Friday work schedule. Thursdays hold such promise, relief, and excitement. I hope you enjoy your Thursday. As is usual for Tantalizing Thursday I am sharing a recipe that has served me well in recent months. It is fitting for breakfast, brunch, lunch, dinner, or a late-night snack. It is as rich and sinful as you want it to be, or can be tweaked to fit your dietary needs. Today I'm offering up this workhorse recipe in my repertoire, Quiche Lorraine.

Carnation Quiche Lorraine
obtained from Allrecipes.com by Nestle Carnation (Registered)

INGREDIENTS:

1 (9 inch) unbaked (4 cup volume) deep-dish pie shell  I use Pillsbury Pie Crust
6 slices of bacon
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
1 (12 fluid ounce) can Nestle CARNATION Evaporated Milk
3 large eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg


DIRECTIONS:
1. PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees F.

2. COOK bacon in large skillet over medium heat. When bacon starts to  turn brown, add onion. Cook until bacon is crisp; drain. Sprinkle cheese into bottom of pie shell. Top with bacon mixture. Combine evaporated milk, eggs, salt, pepper, and nutmeg in small bowl until blended. Pour into pie shell.

3. BAKE for 30-35 minutes or until knife inserted halfway  between center and edge comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes on wire rack before serving.

4. NOTE:  Quiche fits a variety of meal occasions from brunch to dinner and also makes an outstanding appetizer. If using metal or foil pans, bake on preheated heavy-duty baking sheet.

I use a glass pie plate, the Pillsbury pie crust, and the store brand evaporated milk that is typically on sale. I've made this recipe more than two dozen times since the holidays and it is scrumptious each time. This is a fail-safe recipe that yields tremendous results. I use regular bacon but turkey bacon can be substituted. I use fat free evaporated milk instead of regular. I omit the onion as my family does not like it and I omit the salt because I feel the bacon is salty enough. I up the pepper and nutmeg amounts and enjoy the infusion of flavor.  This egg dish lends itself well for an on-the-go breakfast when you need a protein punch and, paired with a traditional green or succulent fruit salad can transform into a meal at brunch, lunch, or dinner. Take the basic recipe and add vegetables or whatever you'd like. If you've never tried making your own Quiche before, this recipe is easy and will make you feel like a Rock Star! My oven, which is calibrated well, still needs 40-45 minutes to set this meal. Use your eyes and nose and you will know when it is done.

I hope you give this recipe a go and let me know what kind of results you get. I had always bought Quiche at the grocery store and was less than enthused, especially with the price tag. Now I make extraordinary Quiche Lorraine for the fraction of the cost! I keep the ingredients on hand weekly so I can literally "whip one up". During this cold winter my husband refueled with this in the mornings. In fact, I'm off to make one now!

Thank you for stopping by today. I hope you enjoy the recipe, let me know your thoughts and, it you are so inclined, leave one of your recipes. Please join me tomorrow for the week ending and interactive Friday Music Blog. Happy Tantalizing Thursday!

4 comments:

  1. This real man eats kishe, er qiche, er kishe... uh, egg pie.

    I love the smell of bacon in the morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks tasty! I printed that out for Sunday. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try that this weekend with the kids...thanks...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will try making this soon. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete