Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Music Blog

Welcome back in to the Friday Music Blog. You have made it to week's end and can now spend a few moments answering today's FMB question. Today's focus is "favorite songs from movies" as this Sunday is the 83rd Annual Oscar Awards airing on ABC at 8p EST. You may list your favorite popular songs, scores from films, Oscar-nominated and/or winning songs (whether we've heard of them or not), or songs inspired by movies. The movies could be great or terrible, but the songs should be terrific according to you.

This is the last Friday of February and already I have written half the blogs I wrote in 2010 as I started this project in September last year. 2011 is rolling along at a rapid pace and I am still enjoying writing here! I feel so incredibly lucky for the opportunity to speak my mind freely and have people like you to read, comment, and identify.

I wanted to let you all know what else I am doing with my writing and other talents. Last month I was brought on at an up-and-coming site called WhooBazoo. They focus mostly on music and sports. I write original content for them daily which runs the gamut from NASCAR news to off the top of my head ideas. I am proud of my work there and am trying to build a following for myself and the site. Recently the sports radio program produced by WhooBazoo brought me on the air in their program "Around the Cooler" which airs from 8-10p EST each and every Tuesday. I talk about NASCAR with the hosts and have a terrific time! I was told this week that my guest spots may be taking a more permanent turn. I'll keep you apprised, but, in the meantime, I'd appreciate it if you checked out my writings on the site and the program on Tuesday nights as well. It is a sports program that covers most (all?) sports, not just NASCAR.

I am now connected to another great site called Skirts and Scuffs, a female run and staffed NASCAR site. It is a very cool site that offers up-to-the-minute NASCAR news and articles of interest from women's perspectives. The site is not "feminist", it's just a place for women to prove that NASCAR fans come in the female form and are smart, knowledgeable and committed to the sport! I was given a column slot and developed one that will run weekly on Mondays. Women and men are welcomed and encouraged to read all Skirts and Scuffs puts out. They are professional and connected with journalists in the media center. I look forward to hanging a shingle there as well.

Of course I still do some writing at Rowdy where I began my writing career. And, I will continue to write here because this is where my heart lives. I thank you all for your continued readership, friendship, and loyalty. If you are at all interested in the rest of my doings, I'd be honored if you check them out. Everything I do is free for the reading/listening. All websites are on my sideboard to the right. Lastly, I still have the Amazon link also located on my sideboard to the right. That costs you nothing but offers me a little something for my family if you shop through my link. So, if you are shopping Amazon anyway, please use my link. It is much appreciated!

Have a great weekend, enjoy Phoenix and all of its races, and then have fun on Oscar night! Meanwhile, don't forget to leave your "favorite movie songs" here. I'll be back on Monday so I hope you will be, too!

6 comments:

  1. Goldfinger - Goldfinger - Shirley Bassie
    Flash - Flash Gordon - Queen
    Empire's Theme - Star Wars - John Williams

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Now I- The Cutting Edge-Dan Reed Network
    I've Got Dreams to Remember- The Cutting Edge- Delbert McClinton
    Insensitive- Bed of Roses- Jann Arden
    Life is a Highway- Cars- Rascal Flatts
    An Affair to Remember- An Affair to Remember- Vic Damone
    I'd Die Without You- Boomerang- P.M. Dawn
    Cry Little Sister- The Lost Boys- Aiden
    Circle of Life- The Lion King
    Proud of Your Boy- Aladdin- Clay Aiken (removed from the original score)
    Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me- The Lost Boys- Roger Daltry
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious- Mary Poppins- Julie Andrews/Dick Van Dyke
    I Will Always Love You- Bodygaurd- Whitney Houston
    Don't You (Forget About Me)- Breakfast Club- Simple Minds
    Glory of Love- Karate Kid 2 (?)- Peter Cetera

    ReplyDelete
  3. Philadelphia: Neil Young
    Streets of Philadelphia: BRUCE (Oscar winning song)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soundtracks:
    • LOTR - The Fellowship of the Ring
    • LOTR - The Two Towers
    • LOTR - The Return of the King
    (all LOTR soundtracks by Howard Shore)
    • Wag the Dog -Mark Knopfler
    • Emma -Rachel Portman
    • Chocolat -Rachel Portman
    • Sirens -Rachel Portman
    • Edward Scissorhands -Danny Elfman
    • The Sting -Scott Joplin/Marvin Hamlisch
    • Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid -Burt Bacharach
    • The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly -Ennio Morricone


    Songs:
    • Vanilla Sky -Paul McCartney
    • Live and Let Die -Paul McC & Wings
    • You Will Be My Ain True Love (Cold Mountain) -Alison Krauss
    • You've Got a Friend In Me (Toy Story) -Randy Newman
    • When Somebody Loved Me (Toy Story 2) -Randy Newman; sung by Sarah McLachlan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lest I forget to mention, today is February 25th. It is 10 months until Christmas! My late post is because it pains my father, whose birthday is on Christmas, to be reminded of the impending date. But, for the rest of you who long to be organized, inspired, and primed, here's this month's tips.

    Continue to bargain shop, especially this month when Valentine items are 50%, 75%, even 90% off. Many of these non-perishable items make ideal gifts; not only for next year's Valentine's celebrations, but for Christmas gifts (or Chanukah) as well. Stuffing a stocking with Valentine's socks, napkins, or jewelry is more than appropriate for Christmas as Valentine's is the next major holiday after Christmas. Better to give those things in the weeks leading up to Valentine's than on the day itself when the items may not likely get used until the next Valentine's.
    Remember to keep those less fortunate in mind. It is still winter and very cold. Donations of winter clothing, coats, hats, gloves, scarves, and the like are all much appreciated. Food banks desperately need donations as do blood banks. To keep Christmas in your heart all year long, remember to help those who need it. When winter has many of us in a state of SAD (seasonal affective disorder), the common prescription besides light treatment and exercise is helping others.

    Look through your Christmas cards you received last December. Choose one or two people to call, email, or FB chat with to keep the connection going strong throughout the year and not just with a perfunctory holiday card.

    Crafter? Wannabe Crafter? Start now on any and all of those Christmas crafts you want to try and make for next year. Waiting for November is never a good idea. NOw is when time is more plentiful, there is much less stress because a deadline is not looming, and the project has an excellent chance of getting completed.

    Good luck and, until March 25th, Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are watching Short Circuit right now... so I would like to add
    "Who's Johnny" by El Debarge :)

    ReplyDelete