Monday, April 4, 2011

Monday Movie Blog

Welcome to a new week and the Monday Movie Blog! We are at the halfway point of our alphabetical odyssey through the best movies we have seen. As we continue to list our favorite movies, the resource has grown providing a terrific bank of titles to choose. It is fascinating to read about classic movies, silly comedies, futuristic dramas, romantic turns, and sports genres. There is literally something for every movie lover on the ever-growing queue and will only improve with the more who participate!

This week’s letter is “M”. Please list any and all movies you have seen and enjoyed that’s title begins with the letter “M”. Remember to include a short list of the stars and a brief synopsis or review of the picture as the more information the better.

As an added topic, please include any and all of your favorite “M”usicals to the list; please make sure they are movie musicals. They can be from any year as long as they are musicals and are movies. So, to reiterate, list movies that begin with the letter “M” as well as your favorite movie musicals.

Please check back to this and all of the previous Monday Movie Blogs to use as a handy reference when you are at a loss at what to watch. This resource is to be used and appreciated! Please feel free to leave your selections whether you have commented at Chief 187 Chatter before or not. All well-meaning posts are welcomed and appreciated as long as they are on topic.

I hope you can join me again tomorrow for my favorite post of the week, Simple Joys. Wishing you a good start to your week. Thank you for joining me and making Chief 187 Chatter a part of your day!

3 comments:

  1. Muppet Christmas Carol - Michael Caine does a phenomenal job as Ebenezer and the Muppet cast makes it palatable for children of all ages. Michael plays it very straight and does a wonderful job.

    Oh! And did I mention it was a movie musical as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great one, racer... We love that one as well and I'm sure SPB would second it!!
    I have to plug my favorite musical here, Man of la Mancha. It was also made into a movie in the 70s, starring Peter O'Toole and Sophia Loren. Not the best movie, but oh such a fantastic stage show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Holland's Opus- Richard Dreyfuss. Dreyfuss plays Mr. Holland a composer/musician who takes a teaching job for income. The job is supposed to be temporary, but the movie shows his entire teaching career and those students he touches. It also shows how his involvement with school purs a strain on his marriage. Having a disabled child also gives us some heart wrenching drama. The end of this movie leaves me a sobbing, blubbering mess. Every! Time! (i'm getting choked up just thinking about it!)

    Monsters, Inc.- Billy Crystal, John Goodman. Mike & Sully are monsters who work for Monsters Inc. the company who sends out the monsters who frighten our children at night. The screams of the children power Monstropolis, and the screams are getting low as kids get wise to the fact that "there are no monsters." Somehow, Mike & Sully discover a child has followed them into their world. They name her "Boo." They find out that the laughter of children is more powerful than screams. But they have to get Boo back to her world. Pixar does a fantastic job with this movie. It is one of my favorites.
    Fun Fact: My daughter's nickname is Boo, since she looked like Boo when I put her hair in pigtails.

    Mary Poppins- Julie Andrews, Dick van Dyke. L-O-V-E this movie. Top 5 easy! I will say this is also my musical. Andrews plays Mary Poppins the nanny for the Banks family. She & Bert (van Dyke)take the children on multiple magical adventures. This is a movie dear to my heart and I also get teary when we get the first glimpse of her flying, and I am heartbroken when the wind changes and it is time for her to leave.

    Moonstruck- Cher, Nicolas Cage, Danny Aiello, Olympia Dukakis. 1st off, look at the cast! Incredible! The iconic *slap* & "Snap out of it!"

    Mama Mia!- (another musical). The brilliant Meryl Streep, Christine Baranski. Movie adaptation of the Broadway Musical. While I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that Pierce Brosnan was entirely MIScast, it was still a pretty good movie.

    Miss Congeniality- Sandra Bullock, Benjamin Bratt, Michael Caine, Candice Bergan. I am a fan of Sandra Bullock and I would have to say this one is my favorite of the ones I've seen. "Just one of the guys" FBI agent goes undercover at a beauty pageant. Cute little, Saturday afternoon movie.

    I'm sure there are a TON more, given the letter is "M". :)

    ReplyDelete